Position:Founding & Managing Partner
Practice Areas:International Law, Commercial Litigation & Arbitration, Intellectual Property, Whistleblower Law, Television & Film
Robert Garson arrived in the US, on the crest of a 10-year successful career as a barrister in the UK, and established GS2Law in 2010, with a vision that high quality lawyering can be both affordable and accessible to all businesses. He has established himself as a dynamic court advocate in the US, is regularly instructed as trial counsel by other lawyers and clients, and had returned to teach cross-examination at the renowned annual ITAP course at Cardozo for the past 11 years. Robert is a regular contributing author on privacy, First Amendment and intellectual property law in the Observer and is contributing author to The Business of Film: A Practical Introduction (Focal Press – Routledge 2018).
Equally comfortable before a federal district court, an international arbitral tribunal or around a negotiating table, Robert’s clientele draw from all aspects of the business world, from technology investors through to movie development funds, food & beverage developers, fashion & jewelry brands and major news platforms. He particularly enjoys tackling novel legal or factual situations as shown by the groundbreaking successes in representing Dodd-Frank whistleblowers and has forged close working relationships with the federal authorities.
Further, as one who moved jurisdictions and established a business from anew, in the aftermath of the financial crisis, Robert is acutely sensitive to the pressures on start-up businesses and how their funds should be best deployed to maximize growth. He believes in building deep and long lasting relationships with clients and places a premium on providing innovative, worldly and sensible thinking.
In his spare time, Robert is an award winning voice-over artist.
- Obtained, together with Chris Fladgate, multiple whistleblower awards, including the largest CFTC Whistleblower Award to date (Over $45 million) for exposing the ISDAFIX global market manipulation;
- In 2020, prevailed in trial before SDNY, obtaining a verdict for willful infringement of a famous artist’s work, against a major internet based platform.
- Was brought in as co-counsel to settle a protracted and entrenched commercial and licensing dispute, which successfully settled within 2 months of engagement.
- Successfully led the defense in a multi-jurisdictional, multimillion dollar, agro-pharmaceutical ICC arbitration in 2019.
- In 2019, obtained SDNY jury verdicts in favor of a Plaintiff against the global leader in the self-checkout kiosk world, proving bad faith misappropriation of 3-D Designs.
- Brought, successfully settled and enforced a Federal action (SDNY) against a publicly traded Canadian biologics company for breach of a debt facilitation agreement in 2019.
- Lead counsel for Lehman Brothers Whisky against Barclays Capital on the validity of the Lehman Brothers trademark.
- Successfully enforced a written but unexecuted profit sharing agreement for a restaurant entrepreneur against a celebrity chef arising out of a Las Vegas flagship restaurant venture.
- Enforcing the rights of a multinational licensee in a AAA arbitration concerning the ongoing rights of a dead celebrity.
- Advised a world bank on a cross-border, multi-million dollar software license dispute, together with Tim Kendal.
- Complex derivative actions involving multiple piercings of corporate veils.
- Leading the negotiation and completion of multi-company mergers and acquisitions of technology companies.
- Successful defenses of UK Worldwide freezing orders and preclusion of their application in the state of New York.
- Risk Assessments for live-streaming websites regarding secondary liability for copyright infringement.
- Defending multi-jurisdictional on-line and print defamation actions.
- Financing and production counsel for various independent movies.
Bar of the State of New York
Southern District of New York
Eastern District of New York
US Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
Bar of England and Wales
Inner Temple, London
New York City Bar Association
New York International Arbitration Center
American Association of Jewish Lawyers and Jurists
LL.M., Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, New York
Bar Vocational Course, The Inns of Court School of Law, London
PGDL, City University, London
B.A. (Hons), University of Manchester
Awards, Achievements and Roles
2018, 2019 – Super Lawyer in the field of International Law
2016 – SuperLawyers, Rising Star in the field of International Law
2009 – Commencement Speaker, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
2009 – Distinguished Performance in the LL.M. Program
2008 – Dean’s Merit Scholarship, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
1998 – Ashe Lincoln Public Speaking Award, Inner Temple
Chair of Old Mancunians North America
Director and General Counsel – British Schools and Universities Foundation