Position:Founding & Managing Partner
Practice Areas:Whistleblower Law, Intellectual Property, International Law, Complex Business Litigation, Commercial Arbitration
Robert Garson arrived in the US, on the crest of a 10-year successful career as a barrister in the UK, and established GS2Law over 7 years ago, with a vision that high quality lawyering can be both affordable and accessible to all businesses. He quickly established himself as a dynamic court advocate in the US and has returned to teach cross-examination at the renowned annual ITAP course at Cardozo, since completing his LLM. Robert is a regular contributing author on privacy, First Amendment and intellectual property law in the Observer.
Equally comfortable before a federal district court, an international arbitral tribunal or around a negotiating table, Robert’s clientele draw from all aspects of the business world, from technology investors through to movie development funds, food & beverage developers, fashion & jewelry brands and major news platforms. He particularly enjoys tackling novel legal or factual situations as shown by the groundbreaking success in representing Dodd-Frank whistleblowers and has forged close working relationships with the federal authorities.
Further, as one who moved jurisdictions and established a business from anew, in the aftermath of the financial crisis, Robert is acutely sensitive to the pressures on start-up businesses and how their funds should be best deployed to maximize growth. He believes in building deep and long lasting relationships with clients and places a premium on providing innovative, worldly and sensible thinking.
In his spare time, Robert is an award winning voice-over artist.
- Obtained, together with Chris Fladgate, the largest CFTC Whistleblower Award (Over $10million) for their client;
- Lead counsel for Lehman Brothers Whisky against Barclays Capital on the validity of the Lehman Brothers trademark;
- Enforcing the rights of a multinational licensee in an arbitration concerning the ongoing rights of a dead celebrity
- Advised a world bank on a cross-border, multi-million dollar software license dispute, together with Tim Kendal.
- Complex derivative actions involving multiple piercings of corporate veils;
- Leading the negotiation and completion of a multi-company merger and acquisition of software and hardware companies;
- Successful defenses of UK Worldwide freezing orders and preclusion of their application in the state of New York.
- Risk Assessments for live-streaming websites regarding secondary liability for copyright infringement;
- Defending multi-jurisdictional on-line and print defamation actions;
- Financing and production counsel for various independent movies.
Bar of the State of New York
Southern District of New York
Eastern District of New York
US Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
Bar of England and Wales
Inner Temple, London
New York State Bar Association
LL.M., Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, New York
Bar Vocational Course, The Inns of Court School of Law, London
PGDL, City University, London
B.A. (Hons), University of Manchester
2016 – Super Lawyers, Rising Star in the field of International Law
2009 – Commencement Speaker, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
2009 – Distinguished Performance in the LL.M. Program
2008 – Dean’s Merit Scholarship, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
1998 – Ashe Lincoln Public Speaking Award, Inner Temple
Chair of Old Mancunians North America
Director – British Schools and Universities Foundation